Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Summer Vacay......Mount Vernon!

The day after our adventure in Harper's Ferry we headed to Mount Vernon.  I was beyond blown away by it!  I think I expected an old home on a modest farm; nothing like what it really is!  George Washington was truly a visionary, a man before his time.... He became owner of Mount Vernon (acquired after his older brother's untimely death) at age 21.  21!!!!  Can you imagine?  In his 20's he became a military hero in the French and Indian War, and then had a brief break in his 30's at home to be married and to expand his estate to 6,500 acres! In his 40's he led the American Revolution and then of course he was the first President of the United states from 1789 - 1797.  He enjoyed two short years of retirement before his death, which was caused by a throat infection that today would be cured easily by antibiotics.  He had a very unique crop rotation system that was unheard of then but is still being emulated today.  Cheesy or not, he is truly one of my heroes and there was so much more to his life than what they teach you in history class!


Inspiring words......



Finding some shade

coming up the drive...

Drew could not get over the size of this 250 year old tree!!!

In addition to his military and political successes, President Washington was also very interested in botany.  This is his greenhouse for exotic plants, as well as his "english garden".  He had many different gardens on the grounds, all dedicated to different "types".


The only place in the house we could take pics was the kitchen

The South side of the house.  The portico that you see leads to the kitchen.  The second floor windows are in the bedroom George and Martha shared.

The back of the house

The girls!

love this man!

What a view!!!

The building on the left is guest quarters, with a portico leading to the main house.

The building on the right is the kitchen, with the cook's quarters upstairs.

Seriously, how cool is this?  I want one!

The original family tomb.  In his will, Pres. Washington made specifications for a new tomb to be erected.

The "new" tomb, where George and Martha and various family members lie. There is "graffiti" carved into the bricks, most of which occurred during the Civil War.  Soldiers from both sides would lay down their arms to come pay their respects while passing through the area.  I guess they couldn't resist leaving something behind?  lol

The grounds are beyond beautiful

A map of the estate, drawn by George Washington himself.

I feel like these pics don't do it justice, it really is one of those places you need to see!!!  I left there inspired to become a better person.  Little known fact: upon hearing the news of Washington's death, Napoleon ordered ten days of mourning throughout France.  People all over the world were saddened by the loss of such a great man.  What an incredible life he led!!!  I am personally very grateful to him and his service.  I know for certain our great Nation would be much different without having had his incredible vision and influence!!!  And let's not forget Martha, the original American Army Wife!!!  During the Revolutionary War George was gone for EIGHT years, people!  Granted, she did winter with the troops a few times, but c'mon!  EIGHT YEARS?!?!?  Mad respect!!!!!

2 comments:

zxevans said...

Wow way cool pics that sucks they didn't allow you to take pics inside the house. And for sure mad respect for army wives even clear back then!

Liz said...

I'd never want to leave if I lived there either! Amazing!